Here they finally are! The tournament layouts for all three courses of the European Amateur Open 2020. In this article we take an in-depth look at the few notable changes of each of the three courses. Check the European Amateur Open 2020 schedule for info on the reservations and availability of the tournament layouts. For more detailed info on all courses, check the courses page.
The Beast - Nokia DiscGolfPark
The 2020 version of the Beast includes familiar holes from earlier years. This year's course is a combination of EAO 2018 and 2019 layouts with some minor changes.
One thing to note is that the global COVID-19 epidemic put almost all organized sports on hold for the whole spring. The Beast is located in a park that hosts a number of sports facilities and all of those are now bustling with activity as the football, ice hockey, track and field games are all organized in a shorter period. Everyone has to make some compromises, which limited the 2020 layout remarkably. E.g. the par 4 setup of hole 10 couldn't be implemented due to proximity of two football fields. Additionally, the expansion of the local health center has made the longer setup of hole 8 unplayable. Worry not, we already have plans for a new setup for the 2021 though!
Despite all of this the 2020 Beast offers some of the best disc golf there is! We're also happy to announce a rare treat for all disc golfers: The Beast is open for public play on Saturday, August 15, and Monday - Tuesday, August 17-18! The local disc golf club of Nokia runs an unsanctioned flex start doubles on Sunday, August 16. More info about the doubles in Finnish on Facebook.
Notable changes to the Beast:
- Hole 1: Drop zone added for missed mandatory.
- Hole 10: Drop zone added for missed mandatory. This hole setup was played in the EAO 2018.
Moon Valley - Julkujärvi DiscGolfPark
The 2020 European Amateur Open brings a few changes, all of which might be permanent. These will be left in place for some time to get feedback on the changes, before the local club decides whether to leave them or reverting back to the previous layout.
- Hole 4: OB area added on the left side of the fairway.
- Hole 7: Mandatory added on the left side of the fairway and drop zone added for missed mandatory.
- Hole 8: Hole extended by moving the basket 10 meters further.
- Hole 10: Hole extended by moving the tee 36 meters further back.
Tampere Disc Golf Center - Championship layout
The Championship layout of the Tampere Disc Golf Center was already announced in June.
- Hole 15: Relief area on the right side, ditch. This was added during 2018 Finnish Nationals has since been permanent change, now also shown on the map and hole graphics.
- Hole 16: OB in the lake behind the basket. This has always been in place, but now it is also shown on the map and hole graphics.
- Hole 17: Drop zone added for missed mandatory. This has also been in place for quite some time now. Now shown on the map and hole graphics.